Antioxidant Power with Red Pepper Spices
Antioxidants are a combination of nutrients and enzymes that are believed to play a role in lowering the risk of chronic diseases such as cancer, heart disease, stroke, and more. While taking supplements should be discussed with your doctor, there are a variety of foods and spices you can add to your daily diet that will not only add more flavor but some give you an antioxidant boost.
Ground red peppers are spices said to contain a high amount of antioxidants. Capsaicin is the active “heat” component found in these red peppers. The hotter the pepper, cayenne and ground red pepper, the more antioxidants it may contain. Although more mild red peppers, paprika and chili powder, can also provide a good source of antioxidants as well.
Some great ways to add a little antioxidant power with red pepper are:
- Sprinkle Paprika over deviled eggs, mashed potatoes and guacamole.
- Sprinkle crushed red pepper on top of spaghetti or pizza slices.
- Mix in a little heat to your hummus or guacamole with a little cayenne pepper.
Dream Dinners meals containing the antioxidant rich red pepper spices:
- Savannah Chicken
- Thai Ginger Beef Kabobs
- Cornflake Crusted Chicken
- Buffalo Ranch Chicken
- BBQ Shrimp
- Southwest Chicken with Ciabatta Rolls