Don’t let the holiday food scene overwhelm you!
Does the thought of holiday gatherings and parties make you cringe when you consider what is likely to happen to all your hard work at dieting or eating healthier? If the answer is yes, you are not alone. The holidays pose challenges for those of us trying to lose weight or eat healthier but there are things we can do to stay on track.
Follow these tips for a healthy holiday.
- First and foremost – keep your eye on portion size. Generally it isn’t what you eat; it is how much you eat.
- Eat some low-calorie foods as a snack before you go. This will help you avoid over eating when you get to your holiday event.
- Buffets are a huge challenge – be prepared. Make sure you check out all the offerings on the buffet table before grabbing a plate. This lets you plan instead of putting what you REALLY want on top of an already full plate.
- Don’t go without food all day in anticipation of a holiday party. Keeping your appetite under control helps you keep your holiday eating under control.
- Do not deprive yourself completely – it is better to eat a small amount of food that is high in fat, sugar or calories than abstaining. Doing without seems to make us want something even more.
Adopting these healthy eating techniques, not just for the holidays but all year-long, will help you on your way to a healthier lifestyle.