Spring Cleaning: More than Just Windex and Disinfectants
When most of us hear “spring cleaning” we think it’s about opening the windows, letting fresh air in and then heading into the deepest darkest crevices of our closets and drawers. The pantry? Oh my. That’s a scary place.
We’re going to leave you to those nooks and crannies, and instead focus on some other spring cleaning tips. Sure, a clean, almost-dust-free house is the first step to clarity and stress relief, however we’re thinking it’s time to go deeper.
- Now’s the time for some self-care. Shed winter’s layer on your body by sloughing off dead skin with masks or exfoliants. When your skin is glowing and wonderful, apply a layer of light moisturizer.
- Enjoy the change of seasons and get outside as a family to enjoy nature. Pick an activity like walking, hiking or bicycling and simply move about in the fresh air. Enjoy some fun conversation, and take the time to plan some summer fun.
- Detox from social media by unplugging from your Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat and Instagram for as long as it takes to simply feel better when you re-engage. Social media can wreak havoc on our sanity when we compare our lives to the escapades, dinners, children and adventures of all those people with whom we are connected. Unplugging quiets that urge to compare ourselves to others on a seemingly endless stream of images and stories.
- Start journaling to reflect and find gratitude. You can journal mornings or evenings, or both. Just take a few minutes to express how you feel and relax knowing this is probably one of the healthiest steps you can take to cleanse your soul.
- Try drinking tea instead of coffee, or at least sit down for a cup of tea in the afternoon. Tea has many health benefits, from the type of tea and herbs you use to the calming effect it has on your nervous system. One cup of chamomile, a good view and quiet is just what your busy body needs to calm itself.
- Tap into your creativity. Creativity can extend into so many different aspects of your life. From gardening to painting, building or playing music. Reach deep to find your creative passion and let your heart and mind sing.
And after all that, you can think of cleaning your house. First, be kind to yourself and take time to reflect on what is trying important in your life. You.