Top Five Energy Boosters for Dreary Days
1. Be intentional about getting a good night’s sleep and, if needed during the day, take a short power nap.That coffee with dessert might have boosted your mood after dinner, but the caffeine likely disrupted your sleep. Lack of REM (rapid eye movement) sleep can make you feel sluggish and less motivated while decreasing your ability to focus. Try to maintain a regular sleep cycle and if your eyelids are dropping during the day, take a short nap. You’ll be energized and ready to concentrate after your zzzzzzs!
2. Eat a healthy diet and avoid skipping meals. Missed meals cause our bodies to crave sugar and eat more to resolve our slump than to prevent it. Don’t rely on excessive caffeine (over 500mg) and sugar to treat this problem. Their promising energy surge guarantees an energy drop later and you’re back where you started. To avoid this crazy cycle, choose nutritious snacks full of fiber and nutrients such as nuts, fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and granola bars such as ‘Kind’ or ‘Larabar’.
3. Fill up on water. Even mild dehydration can alter your energy level, mood, and mental well-being. Have a water bottle handy where ever you go. To keep it interesting, add fresh squeezed lemon, lime, or other fresh ingredients.
4. Go for an energizing walk or lift a few weights. Exercise might feel like the last thing you want to do when you’re tired, but give it a try; it’s a great ‘pick-me-up.’ Find an exercise that you can do regularly and experience the benefits of natural mood-enhancing chemicals such as dopamine and serotonin. So go for it: hike some stairs, hustle around the parking lot, or jump on a bike… your heart will be pumping in no time increasing your alertness and renewing your motivation for tasks at hand.
5. Enjoy some laughter. Ask a friend to join you for a fun girl’s day. Grab coffee, go shopping or attend a Dream Dinners session together. Don’t have time to meet up, phone a friend who’s sure to make you belly laugh. Humor and laughter boost your energy, enhance your immune system, trigger endorphins, and protect your heart from the damaging effects of stress. It’s the funniest way to beat the blues.