This is essentially a quiche with a hash brown crust, perfect for busy weekend mornings. Frozen shredded hash browns work best in this dish. You could use any type of grated cheese, but we like the nutty flavor Swiss cheese imparts.
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 4 cups (2 pounds) frozen shredded hash browns
- 2 cups (1 pound) nonfat cottage cheese
- 4 dashes Tabasco sauce
- 3 scallions, chopped
- 1 cup (6 ounces) diced ham
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) grated Swiss cheese
- 1 1/2 cups nonfat egg substitute
- Spray one 9-inch deep dish pie plate with nonstick cooking spray
- Spread the hash browns evenly on the bottom and up the sides of the pie plate and set aside
- In a bowl, mix together the cottage cheese, Tabasco, scallions, ham, salt and pepper.
- Spread evenly on top of the hash browns
- Sprinkle the Swiss cheese on top
- Pour the egg substitute over the cheese
To eat now...
Preheat the over to 350 degrees F. Bake until puffed and golden brown, 30 to 45 minutes. Serve with fresh fruit.
To eat tomorrow...
Assemble as instructed through #5. Pour the egg substitute into a zip lock bag, seal and place the bag on top of your dish. Cover with plastic wrap and foil. In the morning, pour the egg mixture over the cheese mixture and bake as directed above.
To freeze for later...
Assemble as instructed through #5. Pour the egg substitute into a zip lock bag, seal and place the bag on top of your dish. Cover with plastic wrap and foil. Label, date, and freeze for up to 3 months. The quiche must be thawed in the refrigerator for 1 to 2 days before baking. Pour the egg mixture over the cheese mixture before baking as directed above.