A fun and kid-friendly play on classic French apple Tarte Tatin, our caramel apple pizza is a blast to make and a delight to eat.
This luscious dessert combines tart green apples sautéed in a rich caramel sauce, topped with flakey puff pastry, and baked to perfection. This dish is a real showstopper as you flip the pizza out of the pan, displaying beautiful caramelized apples.
- 4 squares of puff pastry
- 2 cups cored and peeled Granny Smith apple slices (2-3 apples, depending on size)
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- Dash of nutmeg
- Dash of kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 375ºF. Allow puff pastry squares to begin to thaw while preparing apples and caramel.
- Add the unsalted butter and granulated sugar to a 9-inch oven-safe sauté pan or skillet. Place sauté pan over medium-high heat and cook until the butter is completely melted and sugar dissolves and becomes golden brown and fragrant about 3-5 minutes.
- Turn heat to medium-low and add apple slices. Stir and cook for an additional 3-5 minutes, until heated through but not mushy.
- In a small bowl, mix the brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Stir that mixture into the skillet and arrange apples in a single layer.
- Lay pastry squares over the apples and carefully tuck the edges down into the sides of the pan to encase apples. With a paring knife, cut a small slit into each pastry square.
- Place the pan into the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes or until the pastry has puffed up and become golden brown. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5-10 minutes.
- Invert a plate over the tart in the pan. Then hold the plate and pan together and quickly flip them over, so the apple pizza drops onto the plate, apple side up. Cut the apple pizza into wedges and serve!
*Due to the different product brands you may find at your local grocery store and their varied nutritionals, we are unable to provide nutritional information for this recipe.
Spooky Halloween Snacks
Create a complete holiday feast with these creepy snacks and side dishes:
- Jack-O’-Lantern Hand Pies by Chef Laura
- Spooky Spiderweb Deviled Eggs from Duke’s Mayo
- Tangerine Pumpkins and Banana Ghosts from Weelicious
- Mummy Wrapped Hot Dogs from Pillsbury
- Pretzel and Cheese Broomsticks from One Little Project