Dream Dinners has you eating homemade meals at dinner time, but we want to help you avoid ‘famished-overeating’ by incorporating healthy snacks into your diet.
Why healthy snacks? Because sugary snacks make you crave more sugar causing your blood sugar levels to vacillate like a yoyo. Low blood sugar makes you feel hungry and therefore eat more. That’s why you can eat a muffin and feel so hungry in only a couple of hours.
Fiber, protein, and unsaturated oils will slow digestion and help keep your metabolism stable. Fiber rich foods include whole grains, raw fruits and vegetables, beans, peas, and lentils. You can find protein in lean meats, fish, jerky, low fat cheeses, nuts, eggs, and beans. If you eat something sweet, pair it with these other food that will slow its digestion.
You can stop the yo-yoing cycle by wisely choosing healthy snacks. Here are some of favorites from our Dream Dinners Home Office staff.
- Nuts. They are high in fiber, protein, and the good kind of fat
- Crackers and oranges (look for whole grain varieties like low fat Triscuits)
- English cucumbers with Sriracha sauce
- Brown rice crackers or cakes with peanut butter and sugar free jam
- Hummus and vegetables
- Fruit and light cheese
- Whole grain tortilla chips and salsa
- Popcorn, air popped, or made with oil instead of butter.
- Apple wedges and low fat mozzarella string cheese
- Celery with low fat cheese such as Laughing Cow Lite
- Tamari almonds with carrot sticks
- Nonfat Greek yogurt with a sprinkle of chopped nuts
- A bar containing simple unprocessed ingredients such as Kind or Larabar
- Whole grain cracker spread with avocado