Okay, maybe go a little easy on the shouting, but we are excited to introduce a fun and tasty activity for kids to help with in the kitchen this summer and fall. These cinnamon twists are the perfect mix of flaky dough and warm spiced cinnamon with a touch of sweetness.
If cinnamon and sugar aren’t your jam, you can use actual jam or any other fruit compote you enjoy. If you want to go savory and enjoy these as appetizers, change the filling to goat cheese, pesto, or sundried tomato. The possibilities are endless! No matter what fillings you choose, your kids will love creating these fun and easy pastries that can be enjoyed at any time of day.
- 6 Puff Pastry squares (still frozen)
- 2 Tbsp melted butter
- ½ cup of granulated sugar
- 1 tsp of ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 400˚F. While the oven is heating, lay the puff pastry out on a clean surface to thaw, about 5 minutes.
- Once thawed, roll the individual squares back and forth to create longer rectangles, about 8-10 inches long.
- Combine cinnamon and sugar in a bowl and stir until combined.
- Place butter in a microwave-safe bowl and melt for 30 seconds. Brush melted butter over each rectangle.
- Sprinkle each rectangle with cinnamon and sugar mixture, coating thoroughly and pressing down slightly into the dough.
- Fold rectangles in half lengthwise, brush with butter, and again sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar mixture. This will create strip-like pieces of dough.
- Taking both ends of the rectangle, tightly twist the dough. You should see lines of cinnamon sugar between layers of dough. Repeat this process for the remaining squares of puff pastry.
- Place the cinnamon twists on parchment paper a lined baking sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes or until the dough has puffed up and become golden brown. Enjoy!
*Due to the different product brands you may find at your local grocery store and their varied nutritionals, we are unable to provide nutritional information for this recipe.