Did you know that children who participate in meal preparation with their mother or father tend to have better eating habits than those who don’t? Kids who help prepare their families’ meals tend to eat more fruits, vegetables and dietary fiber and are more willing to try new foods.
This month, we want to help you create opportunities to get your kids involved in the kitchen. Younger children can help with rinsing fruits and vegetables, tearing lettuce for a salad and cutting soft foods with a butter knife. Older kids can assist in creating these twists on our April menu, such as turning Meatloaf Milano into cupcakes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F and spray a muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray.
- Put beef and bread crumb mixture in a large bowl; mix until well combined.
- Shape mixture into 12 balls. Place each ball into muffin tins and evenly divide cheese amongst meatballs. Press into the middle and pinch the top ends together to seal the cheese inside.
- Spread marinara evenly over each of the muffin loaves.
- Bake 20 – 25 min. (internal temp 155°F). Let rest 10 min.
- Meanwhile, prepare Seasoned Mashed Potatoes per the cooking instructions included.
- Allow potatoes to cool 10 min. While they are cooling, remove meatloaf muffins from tin and place on platter.
- Once potatoes have cooled, scoop into gallon bag and seal.
- Make ½ inch cut on one corner of the bag. Pipe mashed potatoes onto the top of meatloaf cupcakes like frosting.