Children welcome and wish for snow days… a day off from school and a chance to play outside. When the weather keeps you from getting out of the driveway, seize the day. Bundle them up and head outside, you too!
- Summer games seem new in the snow. Try: Tic-Tac -Toe, Hop-Scotch, Follow-the-Leader, and Tag.
- Play Act. Pretend you’re the Grinch, Frosty, or any of your favorite Christmas story characters and reenact you kid’s favorite scenes outside together.
- Build something with snow. Give them shovels and buckets to create roads, forts, cities, creatures, and furniture.
- Hand over the camera. Teach older kids to film movies, take pictures of snowflakes, friends, whatever interests them. Or, give them a ‘scavenger hunt’ list of fun things to photograph.
- Build a fire and enjoy some family time burning sticks and pinecones.
- Host a cocoa party. Invite the neighborhood kids inside and make hot chocolate. Let them add anything you have on hand: candy canes, whipped cream, sprinkles, chocolate chips, or marshmallows.
- Make snow ‘ice cream:’ 3 cups fresh, clean snow, 2 T cream, ¼ cup sugar, 1 tsp. vanilla. Then add your favorite toppings.
- Bake cookies. Grab some from our Finishing Touch freezer during your next session, so you always have some ready to go at home.
Be flexible and have fun. Don’t worry if you spent 30 minutes to suit them up and 10 minutes outside. It’s a snow day, after all!