No mess, no fuss? Yes, please!
Not only is our August menu full of your favorite meals, but it also is home to one of your new favorite cooking techniques – the foil packet dinner! This method can be used for cooking over a campfire, in a backyard fire pit, or in the oven. Our new Hawaiian BBQ Chicken with Pineapple and Peppers can be prepared in an all-in-one foil pack that makes dinner fast, simple, and best yet, no dishes.
Follow these steps below to learn your soon to be favorite cooking technique:
Step 1 – Set out all the ingredients you will be incorporating into your foil packet. This is especially important when working with raw proteins, so you can limit any possibilities of contamination in your kitchen.
For each chicken breast, you will need a 12-inch by 12-inch square of foil cut and ready for use.
Step 2 – Place our pepper and pineapple mixture in the center of your foil square.
Step 3 – Place a single chicken breast on top of 1/3 of the pineapple, pepper and onion mix. Next, sprinkle part of the dry rub mixture over the chicken.
Chef’s note: Foil packets are all about creating layers of flavor. So, as the seasoned chicken cooks, the drippings will season the pineapple and veggies below.
Step 4 – Top the seasoned chicken breast with our BBQ sauce. This will create the moisture needed to cook the contents as well as add tremendous flavor.
Step 5 – To fold the packet, start by folding the sheet in half over the chicken and veggies. Next, fold each side of the foil to create a seal, leaving an inch on each side of the chicken. Make sure the packet is sealed well to prevent any leaking. The foil packet can be placed directly on grill and oven grates for cooking.
Foil Packet Remix
To prove how easy and versatile this foil packet technique really is, I’ve converted our Mini Turkey Meatloaves with Bacon Ranch Green Beans, into a foil pack dinner! This Dream Dinners classic is featured on our August menu and is one of our Battle of the Best winners. Each foil packet is a complete meal with our Bacon Ranch Green Beans resting on the bottom and a turkey meatloaf log sitting on top and brushed with sauce.
Follow these simple instructions to remix this classic recipe:
- Preheat the grill to high heat, covered.
- Place Bacon Ranch Green Beans into a medium bowl and mix well to incorporate the seasonings and bacon.
- Divide between squares of foil and place in the center of each.
- Place seasoning mixture into turkey bag, seal and massage to mix until well combined.
- Create three hand-formed turkey meatloaf logs (if you are making a large-sized meal, make six meatloaf logs). Place on top of green beans.
- Brush tops of meatloaf with glaze. Fold over foil and seal all edges of the packet.
- Grill covered on direct heat over the flames for 10 minutes. Move to indirect heat (away from the open flame) until the meatloaf is cooked through in the center, about 20 to 25 minutes. Use gloves or tongs to remove and carefully open.
To bake in the oven, preheat oven to 425F and cook about 25 to 30 minutes.